Friday, October 1, 2010

Settling in

I've been here for a little over a week now and I finally feel like I am starting to get settled in and learn my way around.  I moved into my new room in the clinic.  It is actually pretty big.  I also have my own bathroom.  The only bad thing is that it is much, much louder in the clinic than in the retreat house.  So, I usually wake up to the sound of dogs barking in the middle of the night, and I usually hear the kids around 6:00am everyday.  This past week, we had a group of Canadian volunteers that came down to help with some improvements around the orphanage.  They accomplished a lot while they were here, and they were a ton of fun!  

The kids are great!  I met a group of teenage girls that want to teach me Creole, so I've been to their house a few times for Creole lessons.  The deal is, they teach me Creole and I teach them English.  Our "classes" are usually pretty interesting to say the least.  I was at their house the other day for our lesson, and was planning to leave when it started downpouring.  So, instead of leaving, the girls braided my hair.  It took forever, and it hurt, but the girls LOVED it! 









I know everyone has been wanting to see pictures!  I haven't taken too many around the orphanage yet, but here's a few of the kids:





And this is the BEAUTIFUL view from the porch of the retreat house.  The view is constantly changing every few minutes because of the high altitude and the clouds:






3 comments:

  1. Hey Lisette, you look pretty cute in all those braids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love the braids and I LOVE the pictures. It is so beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the braids!! : ) looks like you're off to a fun start. I'm sure they're keeping you busy.
    have you been able to see any familiar haitian faces yet?
    I'm excited for you that you're getting creole lessons! how neat.
    can't wait to see/hear more!

    ReplyDelete