Sunday, September 25, 2011

Life Lessons

Some of the most important things I learned in Haiti:

  • Flushing toilets, hot water, and clothes dryers are all luxuries in life:  I will never take them for granted.
  • Paved roads are also a luxury.
  • You can live without electricity.
  • Driving a car is a privilege that I truly enjoy, but never realized how much I enjoyed it until I couldn’t drive here.
  • If I never own a microwave again in my life, I would be okay with that.
  • Hurry up and wait tends to be the norm here, so never leave home without a good book.
  • Swimming in the ocean is good therapy.
  • Rainy, cold days in the mountains really make you appreciate the sunshine so much more!
  • Compassion toward others is more clearly shown through actions, not words.  
  • Malnutrition is one of the worse conditions a child can suffer from, yet sadly, it’s also one of the most preventable.
  • Talk to people.  Everyone you meet has something to say.
And perhaps most importantly:
  • Try new things.  It’s liberating and life is short.
  • If you can, go somewhere, meet new people, learn a new language, it opens your mind to many things in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment